Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Memories: Part 3 "Even if I have to go bathroom?"


My all time favorite line from the movie Annie is when miss Hannigan comes into the orphan room after Annie is smuggled away in the laundry and asks, "Where's Annie?" And one of the girls replies, "She had to go bathroom." Then miss Hannigan mocking the girl in a really nasally voice mimics back, "She had to go bathroom." Check it out real quick on youtube here. I always thought I would play that little girl really well.

Probably Summer Time 1991

My parents were leaving for the night and told us children to wash the dishes, “THEY HAD BETTER BE CLEAN BY THE TIME WE GET HOME.” I don’t know whose idea it was, siblings feel free to comment here, but somehow we agreed to just hide the dishes in the oven so when our parents got home they would think the dishes were done and ran off to play.

Weeellll later that night my parents came home and being the intellectual people they are, they found the stash. Oooohhhh we were in troouuuuble. My dad was fuming, “Now you kids had better stay in here and wash these dishes, I don’t want anyone to leave the kitchen for any reason until the dishes are done.” I asked my dad, “even if we have to use the bathroom?” He replied, “I don’t even care if you have to use the bathroom, you stay in here and finish the dishes.”

I don’t know how, but this came off as a challenge to me, so I stood there and wet myself. Yeah sure I knew it was sick, and it felt awful as it ran down my stretchy pants into my jelly shoes. But that was all put aside because I knew that at any moment I would get one of these, “oh Heather I am so sorry I didn’t know you had to use the restroom or I would have let you go.” But instead I got one of these, “Well now you have to stand there in your pee and do the dishes.” Luckily my mom inserted with a voice of reason, “Jerry that’s unsanitary.” So I was forced to clean up my own pee, wash my clothes, take a bath and then do the dishes.  

1 comment: