Thursday, February 2, 2012

Terrible Twos, Two Days Too Early

Yesterday I experienced the most intense tantrum of the last two years.

We went to a kids play time at a local church, Kacen loved it untill.....story and singing time. I knew this would be rough he is always the problem kid at nursery during lesson time but I didn't know it would be as bad as it was.

He participated for a moment and liked playing the instruments but there was one toy that he literally could not keep himself from, a little tykes roller coaster.

I couldn't let him play with it and be a bad example to the other kids so I kept bringing him back to singing time and after about the third time he had enough, Intro: screaming, crying, swatting and freaking out. I practically grabbed our coats and bag and ran out the door because I had never seen him behave like that before.

This lasted the entire ride home 10 minutes, flailing arms and legs, head pounding, screaming. I don't know how I made it through this all without breaking down, though the tears were right on the verge the entire time. We got home and he collapsed over the threshold screaming. I set down my things and tried to calm him and he just swatted at me and head banged me, his grandma tried too and had the same result. Eventually by talking in a very soothing tone and picking him up gently and making him look right at me I got out of him what would help the situation. "More" as in he wanted food. Yes, he was hungry but the tantrum was not because of food, it was because he didn't get his way.

Anyway I am not looking forward to more of those situations. A friend of mine just experienced this for the first time too while at the post office and I felt just like she did when I was running out I just kept thinking, All of those women who I just met are probably thinking, "Yikes she is going to bring another kid into this picture? She has no idea what she is doing."

Oh well I still love Kace and he has super sweet moments like when I am just walking with him up the stairs and he wants to hold my hand, or when I carry him down to breakfast and he wants to give me kisses. I am grateful for his energy and hope that after all of this exhaustion goes away from the new baby I will be able to enjoy the high energy in our house.

3 comments:

  1. ha ha calvi and kacen would be pals cause calvi hates lesson and singing time in nursery. calvi was kinda weird up until jodi was born then he totally turned around and grew up and he is just so sweet to her. but ya maybe it is cause he can sense something is changing. that is how calvi was now you have to wait a few months for the new baby! good luck i need to call ya sometime! i am so excited for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It happens to everyone. Another favorite mantra "This too shall pass" and it does...and you won't even remember the negative stuff...just the sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol! I totally remember the first time lexi did something like that, and I was pregnant as well. We were at the airport...it was so miserable and embarassing. It didnt help that I was in the liberal city of Portland where people just stared at me like omg why does that teen mom even have kids?

    ReplyDelete