Sunday, July 3, 2011

French Toast Soufflé

French Toast Souffle is a yummy bread pudding dish with a cream cheese filling. 

So first start with a loaf of french bread, or a nice Italian bread, haha do not french, for anyone who watched Master Chef last night I guess it was a good think I got the boot when I did, my french is definitely turning Italiano. 
Back to work!
1 loaf french bread, I can't stand paying the crazy prices in the store so I make mine fresh using this trusted recipe from my friend Danielle. (what is up with blogger and how it switches my picture orientation?) 
You need about 10 cups of bread cut into small 1 inch cubes. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and put half of the cubes in the bottom of the pan.   
Next, in a small bowl combine 1, 8 oz pkg of Cream Cheese and 1/2 C. of pure maple syrup, if you don't have the pure stuff add some extra maple flavoring if you have it. And also if you really dig cream cheese one and half this filling to make it extra yummy.
Pour cream mixture over the first half of the bread cubes. 
 In a large bowl combine 10 eggs, with 3/4 C. half and half, ok all I had was cream and it was Father's Day so I thought, "what the heck! Bring on the cream!" and I used cream instead.
 Once again, the picture flipped on me but add in 1 1/2 C. milk. 
 Add 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp maple flavoring if you have it.
 And we're whisking, we're whisking.....
 Stop. grate in fresh nutmeg, sorry I don't know how much, just as much as you would like, probably use about 1/4 tsp. bottled pre grated. 

 Also add in 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon, or more to taste. I actually made two batches and in the second I added finely grated orange zest and that was pretty good. 
 Pour this over the gravity defining thanks to blogger....bread cube and filling. 
Uh seriously why can't my pictures stay the right way!?!? Cover this baby up and put it in the fridge overnight. 
 Pull it out 30 minutes before you want to bake it. Preheat the oven to 375 then bake for 50 minutes until golden brown. 
Sorry no plated shots, we just started eating right away. We served ours with fresh made strawberry syrup and maple syrup. It was really good but super filling a 9x13 pan will probably feed eight adults if not more.

1 comment: