Sunday, March 27, 2011

I can't help myself

Dear Reader, please be patient, I don't often write in the dramatic tones of most food bloggers but after my recent experiences this week I thought, "you shouldn't knock it til you try it," so sorry if it is a little too dramatic for some of you. Enjoy!

I can't help myself, I am a food freak! Correction. Snob... or maybe Enthusiast...OK whatever you call me, I like food...real food...mostly healthy food...haha....Chinese take out, pizza, ice cream, mini marshmallows, Oreos and cinnamon rolls don't count right?

Sometimes...I like to experiment, insert maniacal laughing.

Tuesday for instance I made corn flake encrusted french toast. Bread dipped in egg, vanilla, milk, cinnamon and sugar, then coated in crushed corn flakes and grilled in a pool of butter. If I had homemade strawberry jam or syrup...yumm or IHOP's pecan syrup, it would have been better.

I really don't like french toast (except those deep fried french toast sticks they serve in cafeterias), it seems really soggy and nasty, but with the addition of a crispy corn flake crust I thought it was better, not amazing by any means but better. Ky was brave and tried it. You see he is a french toast purest and... he didn't like it very much. You can't win 'em all....which was demonstrated even more prominently by the next experiment....

This little beauty

Bacon Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls

dramatic pause, deep breath, cue drool

I was laying in bed Wednesday night and had a food epiphany, well I hope that is what it was and not just a flash back of something I have seen on TV, read on a blog, magazine or book recently. So if any of you have seen this recently let me know, I often don't realize when I am ripping off someone's story.

I have been fighting a cinnamon roll craving for weeks and Wednesday I finally hit a breaking point. So when I was lying in bed and mapping out what I would cook the next day, as I often do, I thought to make cinnamon rolls, and after a painfully long thought connection I got to.....turkey bacon crumbled up and put in a cinnamon roll.

Oooygooy cinnamon filling, crispy bacon, and calorie filled bread, yumm!

A caution to the wise: Be careful who you offer these to. I thought they were really good. Like really good, I almost ate two in two minutes. However, some members of my household met my idea with near tear provoking hostility. So be careful, if you have any cinnamon roll purists or bacon purists in your house or, if you are one yourself just stop reading and come visit in a couple days to read about normal unassuming cupcakes.

So the cinnamon rolls were really easy, just hop over to Our Best Bites and use their Everyday Cinnamon Roll recipe. After you make your dough fry up some turkey bacon and set it on some paper towels to drain and cool. Then roll out your dough, spread on the filling and sprinkle the bacon on top. I only put it on part of mine because I wasn't sure how the final product would turn out. Then just roll them up but then apart and push some bacon into the top before baking.

Bake as directed. Pull them out and let them cool for a couple of minutes


Then frost. I recommend cream cheese frosting always for cinnamon rolls. I didn't have cream cheese though and only made a glaze and it was fine but cream cheese is always better. And I am sure you could use regular bacon but I think the turkey bacon is great because it doesn't have such a strong flavor and it has less grease.

So I hope you all enjoy Bacon Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls.

If you are not bored of reading yet, here is the really long thought line that got me to put bacon in a cinnamon roll:

A party serving breakfast food...pancakes, crepes, waffles, french toast, cinnamon rolls (notice a theme? Breakfast carbs yumm!)....humm would I invite?..... If I invited Panda would she let her kids eat my food.....it seems like her kids eat a lot of healthy food....how could I make carbs healthier?... Kacen's doctor said he needs more veggies and meat..... carrot cake pancakes, still unhealthy but maybe yumm...... but the meat.... humm.... there is potential there.....oh.....oh......yeah..... bacon in the cinnamon rolls.... sweet!

I think that was it.....yep that was it.

5 comments:

  1. Ha- I think I'm a cinnamon roll purist! Cause bacon in cinn rolls sounds....interesting to say the least! But hey- props for experimenting! I definitely have NEVER heard of that. I do love bacon, and I definitely love cinn rolls....together though sounds odd. The french toast thing sounds really good though! Yummmm all of that sounds lovely. I miss cinnamon rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...you had me at "bacon!" And yes, Panda would totally let her kids...scratch that. Yes, Panda would totally EAT the cinnamon rolls you offered her kids. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a weird, weird girl. I love you- but you are weird. :) I can't wait to see you all soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rolls looked so good and then I got freaked out by the bacon. I'd give it a while, but I'd be surprised if I ilike them. But they still look really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bacon in cinnamon rolls? ick.
    but i still think you're cool.

    ReplyDelete